Submit :
News                      Photos                     Just In                     Debate Topic                     Latest News                    Articles                    Local News                    Blog Posts                     Pictures                    Reviews                    Recipes                    
CAIT urges Delhi CM Kejriwal to intervene in the ongoing sealing drive of business establishments
In wake of ongoing sealing of business establishments in Delhi, the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) called upon Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to intervene in the matter and represent the traders of Delhi in the Supreme Court, as was done by the Shiela Dikshit government in the past during the sealing drive of 2006 to protect the traders.

CAIT has further asked the CM to pass the proposal of putting 351 roads in commercial and mixed land use segment which was lying pending before the Delhi government since last more than 5 years.

CAIT Secretary General Praveen Khandelwal said that MCD officials were violating all norms and statutory provisions of the MCD Act for carrying out sealing operations under the directions of monitoring committee appointed by the Supreme Court.

While blaming the Delhi government for the ongoing sealing drive, Khandelwal said, “Onus lies on the urban development department of the Delhi government to actively look in to the issue and protect the traders. The government can not pass buck on either MCD or Central government.”

It is highly regretted that 351 roads had been identified by the MCD for declaration as commercial or mix land use and the proposal for the same had been sent to the Delhi government for notifying such roads. Unfortunately, both Shiela Dikshit and Arvind Kejriwal government had so far not notified the roads depriving lakhs of traders from the benefit, as per a statement from CAIT.

It is high time now that the Delhi government starts acting on the matter, notifying the roads immediately.

He said that sealing business premises without following mandatory provisions of the MCD Act amounts to violation of principle of natural justice.

“Even in an ordinary circumstances, a show cause notice and opportunity of hearing is given to meet the ends of justice. MCD Act is a statutory Act passed by the Parliament and therefore everyone is obliged to comply the provisions of the Act,” he said.

He recalled that in the year 2007, Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development while filing an affidavit in the Supreme Court had confessed that during four decades, the government had developed only 16 per cent of the commercial space in Delhi, and the rest of the 84 per cent required commercial space was developed by traders with their own capital and hard work.

“The current Master Plan 2021 was put to review by the Government and though eight years have passed but still the Master Plan is under review. This speaks of the lethargic and callous attitude of the Government officials and it is irony that on the lapses of the Government officials, the traders have been made scapegoat,” Khandelwal alleged.

Email Id
Verification Code
Email me on reply to my comment
Email me when other CJs comment on this article
Sign in to set your preference
merinews for RTI activists

Not finding what you are looking for? Search here.